Monday, August 13, 2007

A Low Key Weekend at the Neck in pictures

We made the food rounds at the Northern Neck this weekend- for fresh tomatoes, peaches & melon:At Faunce's we bought salmon for Sunday night's dinner & a pint of oysters:

This weekend's cheese- Grafton's maple smoked cheddar, which I had hoped would taste more like bacon or pancakes than it did- a mild smoky chddar which was tasty, but not a replacement for the smoked cheddar Erin & Tu used to serve from Eastern Market. Served here with Marcona almonds and Old Bay spiced Virginia peanuts we picked up at Sisson's produce.For dinner on Saturday, we went to the historic Tavern in Heathsville. I enjoyed my meal more than I thought I would upon seeing the menu- way too wordy! While I like to know about the secondary ingredients served with an entree, I don't want a full recipe. Everything from the garnish to the reduction was listed with each offering. It seemed that my entree doth protest too much, but surprisingly my hanger steak was cooked to specifcation and the fingerling potatoes had both a crispy exterior and tender flesh. For dessert, Rosemary and I shared a peach napolean, made with whipped cream, white peaches and crispy filo dough. On Sunday Tim & Ben rented kayaks at Westmoreland State Park.
After the park, we headed to Dairy Freeze for soft serve cones. Best of luck to Co Balderson!

No comments: