Thursday, June 14, 2007

Biscuits

So all of those choices last night and we didn't pick any of them. We decided instead to wander over to Acadiana because TBC hadn't been there before.

Starting with the bread basket: seriously buttery biscuits with a side of sweet pepper jelly. Maybe my favorite part of the meal? We ordered couple of the specialty cocktails. I had a basic mint julep (with a splash of seltzer, which I don't usually add to mine but might in the future) and TBC had a Bourbon Fizz (bourbon, praline liqueur and a sugared rim- totally him).

Instead of choosing big entrees, we went the multi appetizer route:
- trio of deviled eggs
- fried green tomatoes with shrimp remoulade
- trio (notice a theme?) of pies (crawfish, Natchitoches meat pie & vegetarian) with a buttermilk dipping sauce

Then we each ordered appetizer portions of soup- TBC had the gumbo and I had a creamy corn & crab soup. Pretty good- but not as good as the Northern Neck corn soup at Corduroy.

For dessert we shared the bourbon pecan tartlet.

So not the casual meal we intended to have, but solid. As a native of Kentucky/Georgia, Southern food is still my favorite. I've been craving fried green tomatoes since reading this month's issue of Food & Wine and the recipe for the "Knuckle Sandwich". I plan on trying this out at home soon- I'll provide a full report. I've never actually tackled a live lobster at home. I think I'll be taking full advantage of my sous chef for that task.

No comments: