Friday, June 29, 2007

Eat Bar and "lifestyle changes"

Last night Raina was nice enough to take me to Eat Bar to celebrate the engagement- woo hoo! Not only do I love the food and relaxed atmosphere of that place, I also love that I can walk there in about 5 minutes. First we each had a glass of dry rose (my favorite summer wine) and we then we shared some small plates:
- mini hamburgers with caramelized onions and some sort of truffle condiment
- one order of bacon-wrapped marscapone stuffed figs
- chickpea "fries"- a new menu item. Brian, our bartender described them as deep-fried hummus, but the shape and texture reminded me most of fried yucca. The fries were served with spicy horseradish mustard.
I then had a glass of Cabernet while Raina had proseco, and we finished the meal by sharing a butterscotch ice cream sandwich.

Eat Bar's proximity makes it really tempting when I don't feel like cooking. They also have mini chorizo corn dogs. Do I need to remind how I feel about corn dogs?
So all this good eating and wine drinking brings me to a bigger issue... how do I cut back a bit on both calories and food spending while maintaining my foodie cred? About every 6 months or so I talk big about making a "lifestyle change." In my fantasy vision of myself I become someone who wakes up early, goes for runs, eats lots of fruits and practices yoga. In reality I hit the snooze button about 5 times, watch the "Today Show," come home and drink wine, eat cheese and watch "So You Think You Can Dance." I know the answer is making choices, moderation, blah blah. It's all going to take a little more willpower than I care to exercise most of the time. So baby steps- I guess that means the next time I go to the Farmer's Market I need to walk on by the new bakery booth that sold me the pain au chocolat on Wednesday night.

Who out there has the magic solution to all of this? What exceptions and allowances do you make while still maintaining a healthy diet/lifestyle? Cooking healthily isn't my problem- I know what to do and generally only use a little bit of olive oil and use low fat meats (if any), lots of vegetables, etc. It's all of the extras that are my downfall: picking up treats, drinking and eating out. Also, while I know the low carb route works for some people (and in the past it has produced quick weight loss for me), I think Tim and my co-workers can attest that I am a PROFOUNDLY UNHAPPY person when I can't eat bread!

Maurice says: "I eat gravy with every meal and I'm still svelte."

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mini corndogs? I am picturing pigs in a blanket. Sounds fabulous.

D Brown said...

Hi Melinda- keep the food intake unchanged! this is a blog about good eats, remember? the way I see it there are two lifestyle levers to play with:

healthiness = foodlifestyle + activitylifestyle + someothercrapyoucantaffect

if the tv is getting in the way of spending time on other things in your priority list, then try unplugging it for a month and seeing what happens. or if running isn't fun enough, swimming rules! then you could start a sister blog called melindaswims

Anonymous said...

If only we could all eat like Maurice....

Anonymous said...

I am told that if you just cut out alcohol and soda you drop like 10 pounds in a month, but seriously who can do that???

My favorite arbitrary, yet seemingly doable "diet" rule is to stop eating everyday after 8pm. I am doing it as my summer project. So far (only 2 weeks into it right now) it totally is working and I don't feel like I am starving, but you do NOT want to be between me and the fridge at say, 7:45, if I haven't had dinner yet.