Monday, July 2, 2007

More Meadow Creek & Copper River Salmon

Tonight I grilled Copper River salmon on the grill pan with only a drizzle of olive oil, kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper. I use my grill pan so rarely that I don't think I've quite mastered the timing- tonight was probably my best foray into stove top grilling. I was able to maintain the filet's moisture even while achieving some nice charring (too bad that's carcinogenic), but coming off the pan a few minutes earlier probably would have been ideal.

Remember how I said I don't cook with butter? I think I lied a little. Both of tonight's veggies had a scant amount of butter. I steamed green beans that I then tossed with lemon zest, lemon juice and a small pat of unsalted butter. I also cut fresh corn off the cob and sauteed the kernels with butter, diced shallot and lots of Old Bay- not so much butter in either case, but enough of a flavor difference that I prefer it to olive oil with these particular vegetables.

Not so much cooking over the weekend because most of our eating revolved around Ryan's house-warming party- so much grilled meat (which Ben is doing a lovely job modeling)! My contributions were a crock pot of baked beans (McCall- do you remember when we went through a phase where we ate baked beans with rice for dinner our first year out of college? yum) and a cheese platter.

I decided to try Whole Foods' other local cheese (sadly, only two in the store), also from the Meadow Creek Dairy- this time Meadow Creek Mountaineer, which was firmer and more flavorful than the Grayson. I also had Maytag Blue cheese from Iowa (a Christmas favorite when I visit Grinnell for the holidays) and extra-buttery St. Andre triple creme brie. My first choice for the soft cheese was Brillat Savarin, but sadly they were sold out. So cheese of the week two weeks in a row, which means I can take this next week off!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oi, achei teu blog pelo google tá bem interessante gostei desse post. Quando der dá uma passada pelo meu blog, é sobre camisetas personalizadas, mostra passo a passo como criar uma camiseta personalizada bem maneira.(If you speak English can see the version in English of the Camiseta Personalizada. Thanks for the attention, bye). Até mais.

Anonymous said...

Maybe you can try the baked beans and rice diet for your lifestyle change. As I recall, I lost a good bit of weight that year, bit it was probably because we were too poor to buy really good food!